Chimney Fire, Monmouthshire

Property Description

The property had an open fire in the main living room, the flue from which had previously been lined using a 150mm diameter stainless steel liner. Despite the poor draw the client continued to use the fireplace until the flue was subject to a chimney fire.


Despite the poor draw due to a 150mm diameter flue being fitted the fireplace was regularly used and was damaged by a chimney fire.

Stainless steel flue liners are always unsafe to use after a chimney fire. The extreme temperatures that occur during a chimney fire alter the crystal structure of the metal. This change means that the metal is no longer able to withstand corrosion and will quickly corode and perferate.


The flue was initially inspected using CCTV cameras to ascertain the exact route and size of the original flue. This inspection showed that the flue narrowed and had a number of bends, making it impossible to fit a suitable 200mm flexible stainless steel flue.

Turner Baker therefore recomended the installation of a FuranFlex RWV thermo-setting resin liner. This liner could be pulled through the flue, without the need for any access holes, and inflated and cured to the size of the original masonary flue.


Turner Baker accessed the head of the chimney using a hydraulic access platform. The existing damaged stainless steel flue liner was removed and the new FuranFlex RWV liner inserted.

The liner was subsequently inflated and cured to leave a suitable lined flue with sufficient draw for the client’s open fire.

The relining process took under two days and the client was able to use their fire that evening.

« See all case studies